I have managed to sort out some of the issues I was having with the zooming since my last post however am still having problems in any other browser apart from Chrome… Not just with the zooming but also with the rotation and placement of my project ‘icons’.
I have designed the project pages now that will pop up when the project icons are clicked on, I am hoping to use jquery Lightbox to show the project pages however having started to work on this I may have to resort to opening a new page for the projects, I think the problem is due to the fact I am trying to use Lightbox’s inside an iframe which isnt ideal as I need the iframe to keep the page from zooming/rotating all over the place.
Here is an example of the design of my project pages:
I was set a group task to come up with an innovative business idea that would later be pitched to a panel made up of Lecturers, Business Students and Entrepreneurs, this project is not an assessed part of our course however it is an opportunity to pitch an idea, receive feedback and possibly receive funding for it if we come up with the concept the panel likes the most.
1st Mockup of Application
We started off wanting to included ebay and amazon shopping suggestions but found that currently the API’s for both of these platforms are very seller based and don’t give enough data to be useful.Our idea stemmed from looking at the popularity of flipboard, our original idea was to create a sports events app which collated sports events, with videos, pictures and tickets all in one place, this idea however has now changed. We are aiming to create a suggestion application for a variety of platforms which is account based and can retrieve information from sources such as grooveshark, facebook, netflix etc to narrow/refine the suggestions to suit the user. The app will suggest a variety of media that the user may be interested in such as videos, films, music, tv shows, books and more and then giving in app price comparisons and links to purchase/view the media.
In the 206 lectures this year we have been going considerably further in the production/implementation of our ideas instead of just developing and presenting a concept we are required to implement the idea if possible or create a working mockup/video of the finished concept….
For the first project we created an in-car computer system powered by the Raspberry PI, we built Photoshop mockups of the UI and also made a demo video of how the finished product would work…
In-Car Computer Demo – Rasp PI from Will Panchaud on Vimeo.
For my current project for this module our initial idea is to use an Xbox Kinect integrated into a ‘smart house’ system to use voice commands and hand movements to control your home. We will probably alter this concept though to make it more unique and fit the emerging technologies brief better.
I have started to code my website now and have been having quite a few problems with placement/layout of parts of the page in relation to each other.
I have also started trying to work with the zooming on the projects however this is proving trickier than anticipated in a full website with navigation bar etc because it seems to zoom and rotate everything in that page, to resolve this I have resorted to using an iframe for the projects view part of the website.
I am however having serious problems with the iframe in other browsers such as firefox and safari ( I personally use Google Chrome which it works best in).
Throughout the lecture series by Michael Blow I have been trying to think of a suitable idea to use that will fit the assignment brief. We have heard/read a fair amount about robotics through this lecture series and I think this may be something I am interested in.
My vague idea as it is now is to create a AI robot with sensors and monitoring devices to move and transmit a feed of video and sound, this robot is to then be covered in different ‘skins’ i.e. friendly looking, mean looking, shady looking. I then want to monitor peoples responses to compliments and insults from the robot compared to if the same had come from a human and also monitor the differences/similarities in how people react based on what skin is currently on the robot.
This idea is still work in progress and very rough but with refinement I believe it could have some scope.
As part of our 203 module we have been looking at augmented reality, we have looked at a number of mobile based applications available to iPhone and Android users and trialing them. (the above image is taken from one of the applications running on my phone)
In lectures we have mainly been looking at the Layar App which opens up some interesting possibilities, not only as gimmicky fun but as an alternative advertising technique.
I was deliberating over a colour scheme before i created my background for a while, the finished colour scheme is available to see here: